Hi! I'm Dr Mel Mapleson, GP IBCLC and Possums NDC Accredited Practitioner. I run a dedicated clinic looking after the perinatal wellbeing of parents and babies. I love my job!
• Preconception/pregnancy planning
• GP Antenatal Shared Care in pregnancy
• Prenatal breastfeeding assessment and preparation
• Breastfeeding, lactation and baby care support after birth
• 1-4 week newborn wellness check
>>> I don't teach sleep training/"self soothing" for babies
>>> I don't issue referrals to private midwife providers for home birthing
>>> I am pro-vaccination and pro-choice
>>> Folks of any and all identities are welcome
I prefer to practise slow, evidence-based medicine, with kindness and clear language. All of my appointments are between 15-90 minutes long. Breastfeeding/chestfeeding concerns, especially, take a long time to work through and deserve a calm, relaxed environment (and an awesome couch). I value the Circle of Security Parenting attachment theory. Sleep training, of any kind, isn't part of my practice and never will be (see the "For Parents" tab for some articles on why), but I'll happily discuss responsive strategies to support baby sleep. I enjoy helping parents find and trust their own capabilities and I take particular delight in busting some of the outdated and exploitative parenting information that simmers away unregulated in the community and online. I will say unapologetically that some advice simply belongs in the bin!
• Specialist General Practitioner (MBBS, FRACGP)
• International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
• Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC, or "Possums") Accredited Practitioner
• Breastfeeding & Lactation Medicine Fellowship Candidate (LILAC Fellowship, University of Rochester NY)
• Diploma of Child Health
• Fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP)
• Prospective Fellow of LILAC Breastfeeding & Lactation Medicine (University of Rochester, NY)
• Member of the Breastfeeding Medicine Network Australia/New Zealand (BMNANZ)
• Physician Member of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM)
• Member of Lactation Consultants of Australia and New Zealand (LCANZ)
• Member of the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA)
• Member of the Institute for the Advancement of Breastfeeding and Lactation Education (IABLE)
I grew up between the Sutherland Shire and Italy, and trained in Sydney. Outside of work, I have the privilege of representing Australia at an international level in a cappella singing. I speak fluent Italian, and I'm learning how to raise a kind and resilient boy.
In mid-2023, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma. The journey of being diagnosed with a life-threatening cancer and going through chemo and radiotherapy changed me as a person. I carry with me the experience of having been a young mum and a patient under extreme stress. A gift and a curse, as Detective Monk would say, that has allowed me a much deeper appreciation of life, love, family, work, and what it means to be "a good doctor".
Mel (she/her) promotes a welcoming and safe environment where all people feel affirmed, included and valued, and the diversity of humankind is embraced.